We’re so excited to announce that we’re opening our software engineering apprenticeship again! Tandem’s apprenticeship program is geared towards individuals who have no prior professional experience as a programmer but may have gone through a code school, degree program, or have self-taught themselves the fundamentals. The objective is to help take someone from basic knowledge to being a full-fledged contributor. We have a post about our apprentice journey that will tell you all about what to expect during your time as an apprentice at Tandem. Apprenticeship positions are paid and include health insurance and other benefits.
We will open applications for our apprenticeship next Monday, December 9 at 9:00 AM. Applications will be open for 7 days and close on Monday, December 16 at 11:59 PM. Unfortunately, applications submitted after this time will not be considered.
In the application, there will be 6 application questions for you to tell us a little bit about yourself as well as a code challenge prompt. In your application, thoughtfully answer all of the questions and include a link to your completed code challenge submission. We will not be able to extend the deadline so please give yourself as much time as you need before Monday, December 16 at 11:59 PM to complete the challenge and submit to us.
We won’t be sharing the code challenge prompt until the application opens, but familiarity with the following concepts will be helpful for completing the challenge:
- Arrays and loops
- Date manipulation
- Parsing JSON
We encourage you to put your code challenge in Github, Bitbucket, or a public source control service of your choosing and include a link to your repository in your application.
The hiring process
We use a 3 step process.
- Application + code challenge submission
- Code challenge review interview
- Onsite pairing interview
The first step in our process is to fill out our application form and submit a solution to our code challenge. After receiving your code challenge submission, we’ll follow up with you to schedule a code challenge review interview if we decide to move forward. This is a 1-hour video call where you will meet with 1-2 of our engineers to talk through your problem-solving approach and decisions.
Finally, the last step in our process, if we choose, is to do a pairing interview with you. You’ll have the chance to pair with many of our engineering team on real clients and problems that we’re solving that day.
The hiring timeline
- Monday, Dec. 9, 2019 9:00 AM: Apprenticeship application opens
- Monday, Dec. 16, 2019 11:59 PM: Apprenticeship application closes
- Friday, Dec. 20, 2019: Hopeful date for all code challenge review interview notifications to be sent (holidays make planning challenging)
- Monday, Dec. 23, 2019: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 – Holidays
- Monday, Jan. 6, 2020: Final date for all code challenge review interview notifications to be sent
- Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2020 – Friday, Jan. 10, 2020: Code challenge review interviews take place
- Monday, Jan. 13, 2020 – Friday, Jan. 17, 2020: Onsite interviews take place
- Tuesday, Jan. 21, 2020: Offer letters sent to 2 candidates with start date as soon as possible and convenient
We can’t wait to grow our team and hope you’ll consider joining us! If you want to hear from our past apprentices, check out these amazing posts from our team members.
- Punching Fear in the Face: How Apprentices Should View Programming by Shamyle Ghazali
- Imposter Syndrome: Feels, Not Reals by Mina Slater